History of The Federated Church:
The Federated Church is a federation of two churches in East Springfield, the Presbyterian Church, founded in 1804, and the Christian Church, founded in 1825. In 1931, under the leadership of the pastors of the two churches, the union was achieved and East Springfield had one church.
In the middle 30s, the church called their first pastor, Dr. P.H. Augustine. For more than 40 years, Dr. Augustine served the church and led us through many stages of growth and ministry. This included the rebuilding of the church building, after a fire destroyed it in 1938, and the addition of offices, classrooms, and sanctuary overflow.
Throughout the years, the church has had a strong commitment to reach young people. This led to the establishment of youth groups, Sunday School, and children's choirs in the early years, and the building of the WLD Ranch in the 1960s. Dr. Augustine also led us into a world vision, and we became a supporting church for many missionaries, including some of our own people. In addition, our young people became ambassadors for Christ through the ministry of Teen Choir.
In the 60s, the church experienced dramatic growth, and Dr. Augustine began to develop a staff of pastors to share the ministry, including the preaching. One of those called to help was his son, Wayne, who later became the church's second pastor in 1977, upon Dr. Augustine's retirement. Pastor Wayne maintained the strong ministries begun under his father, and took us further into both radio and counseling outreach, as well as seminars to strengthen families.
In the 80s, our youth ministry began to take an aggressive approach to evangelism, and under Pastor Rick Plucknett's leadership, an even stronger outreach to young people was established. At the same time, new efforts to minister to the elderly, to singles, and to children were begun. All this led to the need for a new facility, the Federated Family Center, which became a reality in the early 90s.
In 1993, Pastor Wayne Augustine moved to a new ministry, and the leadership mantle was passed on to Dr. Ed Huntley, one of several homegrown pastors in our history. Dr. Huntley and his staff (including Assistant Pastor Rick, Student Ministries Director Steve Pettis, and Children's Ministry Director Matt Pushinsky) are leading the church to fulfill our purpose of Rescuing, Equipping and Mobilizing Every Generation For Christ.